Maiori Town of central-western Campania, in the province of Salerno. It is located on the southern coast of the Sorrento peninsula, along the Amalfi coast, at the mouth of the Tramonti valley. It is the ancient Reginna, then called Maior, to distinguish it from the nearby Minori (Reginna Minor). It was part of the Republic of Amalfi (XII century) and in the seventeenth century was declared a Royal City by Philip IV. Of the ancient fortifications remain some remains (tower of the Saracens, tower of Milo al Casale), while of the five historical convents remains that of the Franciscan friars.
The village, arranged amphitheatrically on the sea, is dominated by the large dome covered in colored majolica of the church of Santa Maria a Mare, originally from the twelfth century, but remodeled in the following centuries; noteworthy is also the sanctuary of Santa Maria delle Grazie. Some buildings in the historic center have been damaged by the floods of 1910 and 1954. Bases its economy on tourism and is renowned for the production of lemons, grown in citrus groves in the area. Inhabitants (Maiorese): 5.735 (1996).